4 Steps to Prepare your Home for the Redding, California Rainy Season.
Prepare your house for the rainy season in California by these 4 steps.
Natural Disasters cause the most damage to houses across the United States. From tornadoes to floods, cold winter storms to wildfires, natural disasters have caused billions of dollars in damage. With Fall just around the corner, people often think we are out of storm season and start to settle in for the cozy fall/winter months filled with pumpkin spice lattes, hay rides, and bonfires. But if you live in northern California, the rainy season starts in September, and the temperatures begin to drop in the nighttime hours. Starting the opportunity for ice to form in your gutters, creating ice dams that could cause water to seep into your home and create unknown water damage. With the weather starting to cool and the heat starting to dwindle, this is a great time to prepare your house for the potential winter storms.
Here are a few steps to follow to prepare your house for the fall and winter months.
1. Clean your Gutters
- Cleaning your gutters needs to happen year-round but becomes especially important before the winter months. When leaves and debris are left inside the gutter, pockets of water can become trapped. As the temperature drops, the water becomes frozen, creating ice dams that could stop water from correctly flowing within the gutter. Causing water to back up and create water damage to your home.
2. Inspect Windows and Doors
- Caulking your windows doesn't last forever, and according to HouseGrail, you should caulk the side of your windows when it's needed, but most caulk lasts up to 5 years. If the caulk around your doors or windows has cracks or is pulling away, it's time to replace it. This will keep the cool winter air from pouring into your home and help your heating bill.
3. Inspect your Roof
- It's time to call the professionals! Having a professional inspect your roof can help detect leaks or loose shingles. With the rainy season beginning in Redding, California, and the temperatures getting lower, don't delay, water and winter storms can wreak havoc on your roof and create water damage to your ceiling and walls.
4. Cut Tree Branches
- Walk around your property and check your trees for limbs hanging over your house. If an ice storm, strong winds, or heavy snow should occur, cutting limbs can keep them from falling onto your home.
If your house experiences storm or water damage due to frozen pipes, gutter damage, or a leaky roof SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties is here 24 hours a day! Our trained technicians and team are ready to board windows, cover leaks, and dry up the water, day or night, keeping more damage from occurring before the problem or crisis can be fixed. Our staff isn't just trained and certified in cleanup and restoration but is also highly experienced in working with insurance companies. Call us first, and we can help walk you through the process.
SERVPRO of North Shasta supports National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month.
This image promotes National Suicide Prevention Month which is the month of September.
Working for a company that does biohazard cleanup can be heavy emotionally at times, but being a part of a company that helps our community during a time of loss outweighs all of that. SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties prides itself in being compassionate, discreet, and safe.
Facing the loss of a loved one is always a difficult time, and can be extremely overwhelming. Dealing with details of cleanup should be the last thing on your mind. We at SERVPRO of North Shasta are a company that is certified, trained, and detail-oriented, which you can trust. Our goal is to create a clean, safe environment to bring order and closure to an unexpected crisis.
Unattended deaths often require a biohazard cleaning, which involves cleaning blood and body fluids, communicable diseases, infection, blood-borne pathogens, and toxic chemicals, which should never be included in your vocabulary as you mourn the loss of a loved one.
SERVPRO of North Shasta has been locally run for almost 30 years. We are a part of this community and have walked with empathy with our local residents through many hard times. Partnering with our first responders, such as the Redding Fire Department and Redding Police Department, we have created a network to help walk you and your family through the process of dealing with your tragedy. While also cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing your or your loved one's home.
With September being National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, we want to take the time to help bring awareness.
Suicide affects us all, and it is our responsibility as a community to take action by being prepared for our loved ones. The statistics are staggering and heartbreaking, according to the National Alliance of Mental Illness, but let them compel you to make a difference by having a plan for you or your loved ones.
If you or someone you love is experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to 988lifeline.org.
Remember SERVPRO of North Shasta is here for you in your time of need. If you experience an unexpected crisis in your family, don’t hesitate to call. We are here 24/7 and are ready to restore your home back to its original state. Call us today at 530-222-0200
Why Should You Call a Professional for Smoke Damage to Your Home?
This is a kitchen in Redding, California that had smoke damage on the walls and ceiling.
Olfaction is "the act or process of smelling," according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary. As humans, we have the ability to detect very distinct smells. On average, 80 million unique scents, to be exact, according to neurobiologist Leslie Vosshall of Rockefeller University in New York City.
Pet urine, garbage, manure, sewage, mildew, and sweat, undesirable odors are in our everyday life, and the findings of Alan Hirsch, MD, could make that disheartening. He found, "Odors can induce reverberating circuits which can persist even after you left the smell." - Smell & Taste Research Foundation. But what if the smell is in your home and you can't get it out?
The odor from a house fire or wildfire is "caused by tiny microscopic particles that cling to walls, furniture, floors, clothing, and other items inside your home." - Gina Peek, OSU. This makes removal of that pesky smoke smell harder than just lighting a candle or spraying an air room freshener. Getting rid of the smoke smell is not simply cosmetic and often requires professionals. However, The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) recommends these few steps to help remove the smell of smoke. Such as washing or dusting household items, laundering clothes, disinfecting and deodorizing all carpets, and have heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning units and all ductwork professionally cleaned. They also recommend contacting professionals for your and your family's safety.
Can you say Soot?
Soot is one of the main reasons to call a professional if you have had a house fire or been close to a wildfire. Soot can be very toxic and can travel throughout your home. SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties has specialized equipment to remove smoke and soot from your walls, ceilings, and surfaces of all your possessions. We have technicians trained to clean and restore your items and home, removing the dangers and smells back to pre-fire conditions.
One of the many tools SERVPRO of North Shasta uses is portable air scrubbers. Air scrubbers remove contaminants from the air inside your home, killing harmful pathogens. This will help with the health and quality of your air, but also help remove the stench of smoke. Let's just say after SERVPRO finishes cleaning smoke damage from your home, you will be lighting candles for pleasure, not covering up bad smells.
We often associate smells with memories, and we believe those memories should be filled with joy, baked goods, and laughter. If you have experienced a house fire or smoke damage to your home, call us at 530-222-0200. We will help get those good smells back into your home.
OVER 50% OF ALL REDDING CALIFORNIA COMMERCIAL STRUCTURES ARE THREATENED BY NATURAL DISASTERS.
This shows the difference of being prepared and not prepared by signing up for SERVPRO Emergency Ready plan for business.
A study by the American Geophysical Union shows that over half of all U.S. Structures are now threatened by Natural Disasters. This was not always the case, with land development changes being the main culprit, making owning commercial property a higher risk than in previous years. Most structures are in what they call "natural hot spots." Places where wildfires, tornadoes, floods, and hurricanes are more likely. So what can you do to prepare your building in the event of a natural disaster loss?
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan prepares your business for the least amount of interruption by giving yourself and your company a plan for any natural disaster.
How does it work and benefit you?
- No Cost Assessment of your Facility.
Our team is ready to assess your facility to create a profile document that will contain information needed in the event of an emergency such as a natural disaster. Just a few minutes could help save you time and money.
- Immediate Plan Following a Disaster
Your customized emergency-ready plan will consist of a guide to get you back into your building and help minimize your downtime for your business. This might include identifying a line of command and who's authorized to confirm the start of work. Don't lose time and money by not knowing what immediate action steps to take in the event of an emergency.
In the event of a flood, do you know where the water shut-off valve is, how to
shut off the electricity in each room, and what are your main priority areas? SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan for your building and property will answer all these questions, preparing you for any natural disaster.
One of the most stressful parts of the process is dealing with your insurance company and understanding what is covered and what isn't. The paperwork alone can be confusing and time-consuming if you have never navigated the waters of a natural disaster claim. When you choose SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties, we help tame the waters and help you through the process. Remember, we are the leading experts in mitigation and restoration and are ready to help 24/7.
Ready to set up your plan and take a huge step forward in preparing yourself for what could be devastating to your property? Click on this link and start the process now.
Your business is your livelihood. It's your employee's livelihood. Because we are a part of your local community, we want to see our community succeed. We know this area and what natural disasters you will face with almost 30 years of being your neighbor. We are here to help your prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.
CALL US TODAY! 530-222-0200
Advice from the Experts on Water Damage in Redding, California.
SERVPRO of North Shasta's technicians explaining to customers the process of water damage restoration in Redding, California.
Water is a powerful energy source. Hydropower or Hydro energy provides clean energy to cities and towns all over the world. According to USGS Hydropower, represents about 17% of total electricity production. Making water the most important and widely-used renewable source of energy.
However, water is also incredibly dangerous! Heavy rains, leaky pipes, severe storms, and broken appliances could be hazardous to your home or office. SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties has over 26 years of experience with water damage, and you wouldn't believe all of the issues we have seen. So here are 3 tips from our expert technicians to keep your family, yourself, and your home or workplace safe.
After you turn off the water, remember to shut off the power. Whether it's a faulty appliance, heavy rainfall that floods your basement, or a leaky pipe that sends water all over your computer cords, quickly find the circuit breaker, turn off the electricity, and unplug the device. This will help keep you safe when you start the water drying process.
- When we start to see water flood our home, the first instinct is to clean and dry the water immediately. But did you know that there are several different types of water and levels when it comes to water damage? The IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) is a great source for helping you identify what kind of water and water damage you may have.
- Category 1: Clean Water
- Example: Rainwater, faucets, drinking fountain, etc.
Experts say to be careful when identifying water as a level 1 and to assess the cleanliness of the floor. If animal feces or urine is present on the floor, this can quickly upgrade the category to level 2.
- Category 2: Gray Water
- Example: Dishwasher, Toilet, Washer Machine, Etc.
Gray water is slightly contaminated and needs a disinfectant to be applied to affected surfaces. Be careful when cleaning grey water to avoid any kind of infection or illness.
- Category 3: Black Water
- Example: Toilet overflow with feces or urine, sewer backup, flood waters from rivers or streams, etc.
Highly contaminated, black water can require immediate removal of building materials such as drywall, cabinets, flooring, etc. If you suspect you have black water damage call in the water damage experts, SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, & Greater Tehama Counties. Our technicians are certified and trained, to remove, clean, and restore your home back to a safe place.
- Once you have turned off the electricity and water start removing any objects that aren't permanent. Example: Rugs, furniture, curtains, toys, dog beds, etc.
- If some of your furniture is too heavy to move try placing foil or plastic under the legs to help keep the water from soaking into the material.
If you have a water damage emergency, SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity & Greater Tehama Counties is standing by 24/7 to provide expert service. We provide the best possible water damage restoration and flooding services in the industry. Water Damage doesn't have to be scary when you know who to call! 530-222-0200
Pet Fire Safety: Important Tips!
Pet enjoying the fireplace in Redding California.
Pets are extended family to some of us. They eat with us, sleep with us, and we couldn't imagine doing life without them. That's why pet fire safety is the main topic today. After all, they give us so much. This is just one way to give back.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, nearly 1,000 home fires (each year) are started by pets. Accidentally of course! But there are a few ways we can keep our pets and house safe by a few preventative steps.
- Pets are curious and love to investigate and be around us. Extinguish any open flames when you aren't there to supervise. Including candles, fireplaces, and cooking appliances. Unattended pets with open flames could be a recipe for disaster.
- Pets love to find places to stay warm and curl up next to space heaters. With fur being an accelerant for fire, make sure to turn off any space heaters before leaving the house.
- The American Cross recommends the removal of knobs before leaving the house, but stove knob covers work just as well. You can find them at any local hardware store and is an easy step to keep you and your house safe.
- Have a glass bowl on your wood deck outside? During the summer months, switch to plastic or ceramic. Have you ever tried the science experiment where you use a magnifying glass to burn a hole on paper? Yes, it's kind of like that.
- Recently SERVPRO of North Shasta created "Custom Emergency Rescue Window Decals," where you can list how many pets you have located inside your home. Applying these to your glass door or front window can help first responders know how many pets to find in case of a house fire. If you live in the Redding, California area, you can pick one of these up at the Golden Palooza Event on September 18, 2022.
- Remember your pets when coming up with your evacuation plan in case of a house or wildfire. It's always good to remember where your pet likes to hide when they don't feel safe and assign a specific family member to your pets in case an evacuation is needed.
If you have experienced fire or smoke damage to your home, we know it's a traumatic event, and handling all the details to clean up, rebuild, and restore, is a major process. SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, & Greater Tehama Counties is here to help you through the process. We treat every event with white gloves and an entire staff who cares. We are your local fire damage restoration company. Give us a call today! 530-222-0200
4 Steps to Take After a Storm!
The aftermath of a storm to personal property in Redding, California
Three years ago, a strong hail storm made its debut, in Redding, California. Hailstones covered the ground like a blanket of snow, creating widespread damage around the city and long wait times for roofing contractors. But that doesn't even compare to the record-breaking hail storm that occurred in Hondo, TX on April 28, 2021. Measuring 6.4 inches in diameter and weighing 1.26 pounds, this storm spit out the world's largest hailstone to date!
U.S. hail storms normally occur between May through August and cause an average of $15 Billion in damages to personal property each year, with the year 2021 producing over 3,700 hail-producing storms, according to the National Weather Service. But have no fear, according to insurance.com, most standard home insurance should cover hail damage to your property minus the deductible. With us being smack in the middle of hail-producing storm season, it's a great time to review your home and car insurance policy. Hail storms don't just affect your roof and car but can cause damage to your home siding, drywall, and windows, making hail and wind damage the most common insurance claim. So here are a few steps to follow if you experience hail damage to your personal property.
- Examine your property to assess any damage to your property.
- Use websites like angi.com to find local roofing companies with good reviews. Finding someone you can trust is important and extremely necessary when asking for quotes. Storm chasing roofing companies love to follow the aftermaths of storms. Bringing the chance of being scammed along with them.
- Grab your smartphone or camera and take a quick look around your property. Here are a few tips on how to take pictures of your damaged property.
- Take multiple-angle pictures.
- Document every detail up close and from far away.
- Take as many photos as possible. There is no such thing as "too" many photos.
- Take photos of the landscape, fallen trees, and broken limbs. Having detailed "before" pictures of your house and landscape could help show what property was damaged.
- Make sure the time-stamp on your photos is correct. This will help provide proof, for your insurance company the storm did cause the damage.
- Call the professionals for photos and examing of your roof. Most professional roofing companies train their inspectors in how to spot storm damage.
- Contact your insurance provider.
- Call your insurance provider immediately after you have examined yourself for injuries, looked for damage to your property, and taken photos. Your insurance agent will be able to review your policy and recommend what local roofing companies are covered.
Lastly, if you find hail damage to your roof and notice any wet spots or water damage give us a call. Our technicians are trained and certified in water damage restoration, water drying, and mold remediation. We also provide 24-hour, 7 days a week, window board-up service, to keep any more damage from occurring to your property. We are your 5-star google rated local restoration company that you can trust! Give us a call today! 530-222-0200
3 Steps to Prevent Water Damage in Your Home During Vacation.
Enjoy your vacation by doing these 3 preventative steps to stop any water damage from happening!
Vacations should be the definition of summer. Kids are out of school, teachers are celebrating, and everyone wants to find that special time to relax in the sun. How many of us have a calendar with a giant red circle around the start of our vacation date? You can almost feel the stress melting off as time gets closer. According to one study, after four days of vacation, stress levels begin to lower significantly. Feel free to include that study next time you ask your boss off from work. That study also shows that the effects of vacation can last up to 30 days. Try to remember that fact as we move on.
The leading musty smell in homes is mold growth. Yes, mold smells, and it's a pretty good sign moisture control is needed if you smell it. Mold is a lot like Batman. It creeps in the night and loves dark damp environments. This is why coming home from a seven-day vacation to your dark home, can increase the chances of mold growth and create that special musty smell greeting you as you enter the door. Remember the quotes in elementary school, "He who smelled it, expelled it", "He who detected it, projected it", or "He who denied it, supplied it"? Yea, that applies here. If you smell mold, it probably exists, and finding the root becomes priority number one.
Leaky pipes, faulty appliances, broken AC unit, whatever the cause, water, and moisture is the common cause of Mold growth. Mold not only loves water but organic matter. (Organic matter like flooring, cabinets, walls, and rugs.) Making these prime areas for mold growth when wet. A simple toilet overflow, when not dried and cleaned properly, could be the start of more severe issues. This is a great time to remember the effects of your vacation can last up to 30 days.
We know no one wants to come home to a musty house, water damage, or mold growth, so here are a few steps to follow before leaving on that dreamy vacation.
3 steps to prevent water damage on your extended vacation!
1. Turn off the water in your home.
- The first step is to find the water main supply to your house and shut off the water. Here is a quick instructional video. Remember to drain all the water from your pipes by turning on the faucets until no further water runs out, and flush toilets to remove excess water from the bowls and tanks.
2. Turn up the temperature, but don't turn off the A/C unit.
- The rule of thumb is to bump your thermostat up 5 degrees from your normal home temperature. This helps save you money on energy costs and allows your A/C unit to not overwork, creating fewer chances for it to break and cause water damage while you are gone.
3. Set your water heater.
- Some water heaters have a vacation mode that lowers the temperature several degrees. You can also do this manually before leaving on your vacation. This will help your water heater from cycling on and off so often while you are gone, preventing a potential water leak or spill. Remember it’s not recommended to turn off your water heater.
If you do come back from vacation and find water standing, flooding, or mold growth, give SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties a call. We are the professionals that are trained and certified in water damage and mold remediation in Redding, California. We make sure your home is safe, clean, and dry. Prolong the lower levels of stress from your vacation by allowing us to clean up the water, dry out your organic matter (flooring, cabinets, walls, and rugs), and prevent mold from entering your home.
We help eliminate the stress! Call us today! 530-222-0200!
5 Fire Safety Tips for Kids
Kid in Firmean Costume showing 5 Fire Safety Tips for Kids.
Fire safety tips for children are cool year-round.
Disasters can happen at any moment, which is why you should take preventative measures to educate your child.
Here are 5 simple fire safety tips to keep your children safe and prepared!
Grab some construction paper, glue, and some markers and make a map of your house. This can be a fun creative exercise for you and your children. Start with their bedroom, making sure to map out all windows and doors, creating two exit plans out of every room. Continue with the rest of the house until all exit plans have been discussed and highlighted. Here is a fun how-to example of a fire safety map for your house.
STOP, DROP, AND ROLL! All the cool kids know this dance! We may have learned this fire safety tip in school, but practice makes perfect. First, teach the details of why and how to do this exercise. Remind them to cover their face and stop, drop, and roll. Second, grab that favorite funky song your children play on repeat and create a fun fire safety dance using your new moves.
How low can you go? Did you know according to the National Fire Protection Association, smoke inhalation is the number one harmful cause to humans during a house fire. Teaching kids to go low when they see smoke can be as easy as playing a good game of LIMBO. Tell your children the stick is smoke and see how low they can get.
Create boundaries with candles, matches, stoves, fire pits, or grills. According to First Alert, cooking is the number one cause of house fires. Don't just say no, but take advantage of educating your kids on the proper usage of your stove. Ever seen Chopped Junior? Grab some random items in your kitchen and see what good-tasting masterpiece you and your family can create. Simultaneously, teaching safety tips on how unattended stoves are unsafe.
- In your House, install smoke detectors on every level and outside of every bedroom.
- Monthly check your smoke detectors. Fema recommends replacing the batteries every year and replacing the entire smoke detector every 10 years.
- Allow your kids to be present when testing the smoke alarm. The sound should represent the starting of a race. How quickly can you exit the house when you hear this sound? Creating a fun game, can keep the anxiety and fear down since it is such a loud noise.
Fire Safety doesn't have to be boring! Get creative and be prepared.
If you do happen to experience fire damage to your home, give the certified local specialist SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties a call. We are here 24/7, 365 days a year. We care about you, your family, and your property.
Call us: 530-222-0200 or get more info here.
Selling Instagram-Worthy Commercial Real Estate in Redding, California
Instagram-worthy commercial real estate in Redding, California.
Do you sell commercial real estate? According to Forbes Magazine, "The average annual return of commercial real estate over 20 years is roughly 9.5%, nearly 1% greater than the S&P 500's average annual return of 8.6% over the same period of time." Making commercial real estate attractive to investors, in return creates a dynamic opportunity for you as the seller to make the $$$, the big bucks! However, if you are new to the business or a long-time veteran, you know how tricky the ebbs and flows can be. Standing out is the key to success, and you know you want to succeed! Buyers want to be wowed, wined, and dined, but what if your building has been sitting for years? Vintage is good, but not when it comes to wet, damp carpets, broken pipes, and leaky roofs.
So how do you bring your listing to the top of the list and make them Instagram-ready!
If you don't know what a building condition assessment is, trust us you need one. Most banks require one before final approval on a commercial loan. Condition Assessments will help determine if the property should be renovated, sold as is, or demolished. Encouraging your clients, to frequently schedule BCAs, could help determine the life shelf left in the building and stay ahead of unwanted maintenance disasters.
Social Media has rushed in a new era of marketing. It has transformed the way people connect and the ability to pinpoint their desired property. However, the devil is in the details. Clients want to see pictures, videos, and Reels, and if the property isn't sparkling, will your property be moved to the back of the line? Building trust with buyers by giving them all the details of the property before they schedule a showing is key. So how do you put your best foot forward and create a multi-offer bidding war?
After you or your client have assessed the damage to the building, and before you make those snazzy new videos and photos, call us! We offer Commercial Cleaning Services. From cleaning restaurant hoods to removing biohazard contaminants, we are your one-stop shop to get your clients building sparkling again. Ceiling and walls love to collect dirt and dust, pet dander, cooking oils and grease, cigarette smoke, and other contaminants, stuff you shouldn't just paint over, film, or take photos of. So before your client starts shouting the quote by Candice Olson, "Paint goes a long way in making old look like new," and starts to go Van Gogh on the place, remind them to wash the walls before they paint. The primer and paint will adhere better and will create a cleaner finish. This tip is on us. You are welcome!
We are here to help save your client time and money by creating a clean, safe, odor-free environment. Making you look good, and the property you are selling Instagram ready!
Jump your property to the top of the list by hiring SERVPRO of North Shasta today! Call us at 530-222-0200! We are what your competitors are afraid of.