6 Ways to Prepare Your Kids for Storms.
image of a superhero kid facing a thunderstorm in Redding, California.
Storms can be rare in the Summer months in Shasta County, with our wettest months being between October 28th till May 2nd, according to Weatherspark.com. But that doesn't prevent that beautiful summer sky from turning black, bringing scary sounds and flashes of lightning that send our kids rushing to our beds. Fear is a learned trait, something we have picked up from observing while watching a movie, tv-show, or even hanging with friends. How do we help kids prepare for those Summer storms, keep them safe, and break that pesky habit of running to the parent's bedroom every time it rains?
- Empower through education
- Each stage of a kid's development brings different challenges, wonder, and growth. Depending on your child's age will also depend on the different needs they have. Teaching, at an early stage, the science behind storms could help prevent future anxiety.
What is a thunderstorm?
What causes a thunderstorm?
Are thunderstorms dangerous?
Answering simple questions like these could help familiarize children with storms and increase their desire to learn more. Weather Wiz Kids is a great resource that helps answer some of these questions while giving Thunderstorm Ideas to help learn about static electricity.
- Exposure and response prevention is a proven way to help kids fight their anxiety in a safe environment. Gradually exposing kids to things that might trigger their anxiety could help them fight their fears in the future.
Thunderstorm Coloring Pages
Storm Art Projects
Storm Science Projects
Projects like the above list are great ways to have children face storms and provide them with tools that could help gently prevent anxiety.
Being alone and the dark are some of the top fears of children. Creating a plan for severe storms could help prevent both things from happening.
- Inside the bag might include a flashlight, extra batteries, a storm radio, a cuddle buddy (for younger children), a blanket, water, and non-perishable snacks. If the lights go out, grab your child's hand, walk together to the bag and your kid never has to be alone or in the dark for long.
- Turning what could be a scary moment into a fun-filled afternoon could be as easy as playing flashlight games and creating a great distraction from the storm. Glow sticks, coloring books, crayons, snacks, and your smartphone are just a few things we recommend for your Kid's Storm Box. The outside world might be going crazy, but inside the home, your kids are rocking to their favorite song from your smartphone or creating their next masterpiece. Making their storm experience fun and exciting and not scary and filled with anxiety.
- Home is supposed to be a safe refuge for our children. When a disaster strikes and causes destruction in and around your home, it can prevent children from feeling at ease. At SERVPRO, we understand how important getting your home back to working order is and make it our top priority. As a parent, you are working hard to guide, grow, and mold your children, so let us help when storm damage affects your house. Grab your phone, click add new contacts, type SERVPRO of North Shasta in the name, and type 530-222-0200 under the phone number. We are here, 24/7, 365 days a year, day or night, waiting for you when you need us.
Air Conditioning Causes Water Damage in Home.
Air Conditioner Unit over time causing water damage in Redding, California.
Every morning your routine consists of waking up, grabbing your phone, tuning into your local weather station, and checking the up-and-coming weekend forecast to discover they are forecasting triple digits. According to Redding.com, "Redding routinely experiences the hottest summer temperatures anywhere in California north of the Mojave Desert."
Does it get that hot? Just ask the locals; escaping the heat becomes a top-list priority when living in Redding, California.
Lakes, Mountains, Beaches, we have them all! Whether you're grabbing a kayak or paddleboard to cool down in the waters of WhiskeyTown Lake. Jumping in the car to hike the nearest mountain, like Mt. Shasta or Mt. Lassen, or making a brief road trip heading to the sandy beaches of Crescent City, the first step is to set your air conditioner to cool. Hoping when you return home, your house has lowered just a few degrees.
Trust us when we say your air conditioner unit will be tested, in a Redding Summer
Have you ever sat down in your favorite chair, laid your head back, and saw a discoloring on your ceiling? What begins with a mild inconvenience of a slightly stained ceiling could potentially ruin your ceilings, walls, and floors. Water damage from your air conditioner could put a damper on your summer plans, so here are a few ways to keep your air conditioner working properly.
- Change your filter at least every 30- 60 days.
- The air filter helps keep dust and debris from entering your HVAC system and potentially clogging it. If a condensate drain line becomes clogged, it will cause condensation to back up and start to leak. A slow leak unattended will eventually cause mold and other water damage to your home's structure.
- Remove Debris / Clean Fins.
- Removing debris from your outside HVAC unit will require you to shut off the power. Remove the fan cage, and clean out leaves or debris from the inside.
- Clean the fins. While the power is still shut off, grab a water hose and spray from the inside out. Wash all of the dirt that might be stuck between the fins.
- Keeping your HVAC unit level can help keep stress off the condenser and add longer life to your unit.
- Replace Damaged Insulation
- Check the insulation around the cords coming from the system. If it's beginning to crack, replace the insulation to protect the cords from outdoor elements.
- Check out this Lowe’s Video on How to Clean an Air Conditioner.
Regular Maintenance checks by professionals such as Wallner Plumbing Heating and Air before the summer season can help discover any issues you might have in the future. Water damage from an AC unit tends to start off small and can potentially end in significant repairs and renovations.
Signs that your AC may have a water leak.
- Constantly dripping water (even when the unit is turned off).
- Poor Cooling Performance.
- Sound of Water or dripping noise within the walls.
- The drain pan overflows with water when full.
- Water stains on the ceiling, caused by condensation forming on your air ducts.
There are stories of entire ceilings collapsing because of a consistent water leak, caused by an air conditioning unit. Water damage isn't something you should take.
If you suspect any water damage in your home, call SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties. Our technicians are trained and certified in Water damage repair and restoration. We have advanced water inspection, extraction, and equipment ready to help serve your water damage needs.
Call today! 530-222-0200
Reducing Commercial Real Estate Operating Costs.
A commercial building with how to reduce commercial building costs in Shasta County, California.
What are operating costs, and how can I save money in today's Northern California business market?
Operating costs are your day-to-day expenses incurred from running your business. Property tax, maintenance, utilities, property insurance, landscaping, and cleaning, the list continues to grow when owning commercial real estate. The topic of high inflation with no stopping in sight makes budgeting a "half to" instead of a luxury.
According to Constellation, office building owners spend an average of $2.14 a square foot on energy consumption costs, with one-third of their total non-fixed operating expenses going towards their energy expenses. Whether you are a small business owner or own a large corporation, we all agree that cutting your costs helps grow your profits.
Here are a few ways to help you lower your everyday operating costs.
- Lower your property taxes.
- If you're a business owner a commercial tax professional should be in your back pocket. According to Real Property Tax Advisors, property taxes can be reduced anywhere from 25 to 40 percent when working with a professional. Itemization for building expenses and watching your annual costs for utilities can help give you a 30,000-foot view of where you are spending your money and what creative ways you can save money.
- Minimize repairs with predictive maintenance
- Attention to your equipment like your HVAC, plumbing, light fixtures, and the roof can help prevent expensive repairs and business interruption. Budgeting for regular maintenance may seem like an oxymoron, but trust us when we say preventative will save you money in the long run.
Recommended Maintenance Guide
- HVAC SYSTEM Maintenance (2x a Year)
Working professionals say Spring and Fall are great times to get your HVAC system and equipment checked and maintained.
- Plumbing Maintenance (4x a year)
Scheduling a commercial plumbing inspection when first moving into a building can help save extensive repairs in the future. Regular maintenance by a professional plumber can help determine the level of corrosion on pipes, proper installation, and locating any cracks or leaks that potentially lead to water damage.
- Roof Maintenance (2x a year)
Roof warranties have requirements that need to be maintained or become void. Regular maintenance checks for your roof can help keep you up to date while preventing potential structural damage. A traditional maintenance check from a professional should include noting debris on the roof, any cracking, blistering, or signs of structural corrosion. Roof staining or leaks can be a tell-tell sign that moisture is getting into the roof, and further action needs to be taken. Also, don't forget skylights, chimneys, gutters, and drains need to be checked and maintained.
- Create an Emergency Disaster Plan
- Partnering with someone like SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties to create a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) can help give you, your employees, and customers peace of mind and save money and time in the long run. When calculating expenses, we forget to factor the unplanned disasters. While we pray you will never need an emergency plan, having a plan, budgeting, and knowing who to turn to will help your pocketbook.
- Have a Plan.
- Having an immediate plan of action can help minimize the downtime to your business in an emergency.
- Establish your local SERVPRO as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- We are your local certified industry leader restoration provider, ready to serve you 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Ready to board up windows and doors, day or night, to keep your property safe and secure after fire or vandalism.
- 24-hour sewage backup, vandalism, and odor removal cleanup.
- SERVPRO will help you navigate the insurance claims process and coordinate the necessary paperwork for a quicker, easier experience.
Remember, you are not alone. Create a step-by-step plan to lower costs and expenses that you can implement over time.
“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new” -Socrates
Start building the new you today!
SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, & Greater Tehama Counties
Restoration Company in Redding, California Goes Personal!
image of Laura Burgdorf marketing/sales manager welcoming you to come get personal with a local restoration company in Redding California. SERVPRO!
According to Red Crow Marketing, an average person is exposed to 5,000 to 10,000 advertisements a day. No wonder all the logos start to blend in, even when you see a bright green van with a SERVPRO logo on the side.
Businesses today do their best to stand out and gain your attention. With crazy commercials, flashing billboards, influencers, and social media superstars fighting for your attention, who do you trust?
Have you ever heard the quote by President Barak Obama that said, "It is moments like these that force us to try harder, and dig deeper, and to discover gifts we never knew we had - to find the greatness that lies within each of us."? Well, taking from his beautiful words, we wanted to take a few moments and allow you to push aside the flashing billboard signs and dig deeper into SERVPRO of North Shasta and discover one of the many gifts we call employees (aka family). We figure what better way to build trust than open our doors and invite you in.
Say hello to Laura Burgdorf, SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties sales and marketing manager. Laura has been with us for 19 years. Yes, you read that right, 19 years! Now you are probably asking, why would I read a blog about a person I don't even know? The answer, you invade strangers' lives every day on social media. Why not on a blog? Back to Laura. Like many Redding, California locals, Laura loves the mountains, lakes, and hiking trails that make us gush over our city as well! When asking her why she loves her job? It's you, the potential customer of SERVPRO.
Laura's real-life quote, "I actually love talking to customers and helping to ease the burden of these unplanned remodels, aka unplanned disruptive life events."
Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, She really is that nice of a person and cares that much! Her personal touch with customers, being there for them even after their services are complete. Whether that is helping sourcing services from real estate agents to HVAC companies, helping them find contractors they can trust, or finding a plumber to help them right away. Laura is our superstar and someone you want in your back pocket when a disaster strikes unexpectedly.
SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, and Greater Tehama Counties isn't just another company. We are brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, neighbors, and LAURAS. A company that helps by being available 24/7 to get people on the road to recovery after water damage or fire in their home or business. We provide technicians that are trustworthy and ethical to minimize your stress. Stress management is super helpful for your health, so check that off for another reason to use us next time you have an unexpected disaster in your home or business.
The bottom line is WE CARE! We may not have some "influencer" or "social media star" telling you to use SERVPRO, but we do have a Laura, and our Laura will be there for you in some of your most vulnerable times.
Need a company that isn't just a flashing billboard sign?
Give us a call! 530-222-0200
Drug Epidemic is Affecting Families and First Responders!
Image of drug epidemic in Shasta County, California.
There is another epidemic growing in the United States and it isn't what you think. Manufactured Fentanyl is on the rise! Originally designed and created to treat chronic severe pain after surgery, Fentanyl is now being smuggled into the United States and used to make illegal drugs more potent. As an example, compared to morphine, Fentanyl is 100 x stronger, creating a recipe for disaster if the wrong dose is administered.
Fentanyl was created in 1959 and introduced to the world in the 1960s, but it wasn't until 2011 that the rise of illegal use began. Today the increase continues to rise, forming the perfect storm for an epidemic.
Lacing Fentanyl into other illegal substances without the consumer's knowledge continues to be a problem. According to the NCDHHS, "As little as two milligrams, about the size of 5 grains of salt, can cause negative health effects including trouble breathing, dizziness, and possible overdose."
This epidemic isn't just affecting the consumers but also our first responders and children. A legally prescribed Fentanyl patch wrongly discarded can create a potential exposure threat to children. Luckily the CDC has released a long list of recommendations for keeping our first responders safe, trained, and aware of what signs to look for, for possible fentanyl exposure.
If you, your child, or someone you know has been exposed to fentanyl or experiencing an opioid overdose, call 911 immediately. Police officers, emergency medical technicians, and first responders are trained on how to administer Naloxone, a medicine commonly used to rapidly reverse an opioid overdose.
Like all epidemics, we need each other to help fight this war. The American Medical Association is partnering with physicians, state and federal policymakers, " to combat the nation’s drug overdose and death epidemic." on a medical level.
How can you help? Check out the U.S. Department of Health's Overdose Prevention Strategy for more information on how you can do your part to end this epidemic!
SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity & Greater Tehama Counties specializes in biohazard cleaning. Our technicians have been trained and certified to keep you and your loved ones safe by creating a clean, biohazard-free environment. Give us a call if you need us! We are here 24/7, 365 days a week! 530-222-0200
Ways to Solve Your Flooded Crawl Spaces!
image of a SERVPRO technician in Redding California accessing water damage in a crawl space.
A storm in our neck of the woods brings rejoicing and celebration, with very little thought of the aftermath that heavy rains can bring. If you own a house with a crawl space, this can be potentially a disaster. Heavy rains can cause standing water with the possibility of permanent damage to your home. Leading us to the question …
Why are homes built with crawl spaces?
Building a house isn't cheap. One of the ways to cut costs is not having to level out the dirt and land your house's foundation will be built on. Not to mention crawl spaces create easy access to your HVAC and plumbing lines for future repairs. Making the cost of repairs drop significantly. Unfortunately, there is a downside to crawl spaces. Can we say MOISTURE!
That's right, ladies and gentlemen, moisture is the number one issue in having a crawl space. Mold, wood rot, and termites are just a few things that love moisture. So when the heavy rains move out, make a quick check for standing water. This could help prevent your house from looking like Johnny Depp's boat in Pirates of the Caribbean.
If you discover standing water in your crawl space,
Step one: would be, QUICKLY remove it. Depending on the amount of water, you may need to call a professional company to bring pumps to extract the water before it causes permanent damage to your home.
Step two: dry out your crawl space. If you are trying this DIY style, you will need to bring in a dehumidifier to help dry things out. NEVER allow the crawl space to air dry if there is significant water. The quality of the dehumidifier does matter to prevent any growth of mold or mildew. Depending on cost and budget, a quick call to your local restoration company could help you save time and reassurance in the quality of work.
When the water is removed, and everything is dry, bring on the preventative measures!
Follow these 4 steps to give yourself the lowest energy bills, and help prevent future damage to your home’s foundation.
- Seal the vents and openings by installing air-tight vent covers and doors.
- Install a sump pump. Check out this old house's 8-step DIY sump pump installation process. Warning, this is not an easy process, and we recommend calling the professionals.
- Install a plastic vapor barrier over your dirt floor and walls.
- Check your landscaping. Creating a gradual slope that angles away from the house can keep water from draining underneath your home. Your yard needs to slope six to eight inches away from your foundation.
Water damage can be menacing and tiresome, but your local SERVPRO is here to help! We know that all the preventive measures in the world can't always protect you from the unknown, and that is why our technicians are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Lightning strikes from storms could cause fire damage to your home.
Lightning strikes from storms near redding california, may cause fire damage to home.
When looking at a drought map of California, you see that most of our state is either under severe or extreme ratings.
Sending most of us Shasta County residents to check the local weather quite frequently. Crossing our fingers that rain is in the forecast. But what happens when those storms you are hoping for become severe and cause damage to your home?
According to Lightningsafety.com, 1 out of every 200 homes will be struck by lightning per year. These potential strikes can cause minimal to life-altering damage, creating a unique situation that leaves people not knowing their next steps.
- Verify Insurance Coverage and File a claim with your Home Insurance
- Most insurance companies will want to send out their adjusters to assess the damage and cost of repairs. Filing your claim the moments after damage occurs can help the quickness of receiving payment for your claim. Helping get your house and property back to normal.
- Check your coverage and review the deductibles of your policy. Your home insurance could include payment for hotels, rental cars, storage facilities, gas, food, etc.
- Document Property Loss
- Grab your smartphone, camera, and or video camera and take pictures and videos of all property and structures that have received any damage. These should include pictures and videos of smoke damage or soot on any of your property and items. Example: couches, pans, knickknacks, comforters, etc. Keeping a detailed account of your losses will help with your home insurance claim process.
- Secure your property
- One of the many services we offer at SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity & Greater Tehama Counties is our ability to help you keep your property safe and secure from any further damage or vandalism. Whether the damage was caused by high wind or a lightning strike causing fire damage, you need to create a barrier from outside elements or thieves.
- Remember if your house is inhabitable, do regular drive-bys to check on your property.
- Know what repair company you can trust
- Your insurance company may have a repair/restoration company they automatically use. What people don't always know, you can pick your own company. Repair costs can vary drastically by the quality of work, labor, and cost of supplies. Finding a company that specializes in restoration instead of one that "just" repairs and replaces could save you a lot of money. Our philosophy is that “clear communication” can create ease for you and your family. Check out this helpful blog on "how to choose a restoration company near you”.
Safety is one of our top priorities when it comes to our family and friends. With the potential of severe storms in our forecast for Northern California, knowing safety tips for lightning could help keep your family safe.
Remember your local SERVPRO is here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to help when you need us.
Give us a call: 530-222-0200
Unsafe Working Conditions in Northern California
Image of an unsafe work environment filled with germs and bacteria needing to be cleaned in Shasta County and Redding, California.
According to psychology today, we will spend, on average, 90,000 hours at work within our lifetime, and looking at statistics just 3 years ago, you would have seen most of those hours were in office buildings, warehouses, and job sites. In 2020, the Coronavirus created an unsettling effect that changed every aspect of our lives. Moving a lot of us from office buildings to homes, it left its mark on the business world changing how we do everyday business and creating the question of what happens when it’s time to come back? Is your work environment safe and clean for your employees and how can SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, & Greater Tehama Counties help?
The 3 environmental health hazards most common in the workplace are Biological, Chemical, and Physical.
- Biological hazards: could include mold, sewage, and bodily fluids.
- Chemical hazards: are often caused by improper use of chemicals that may be toxic, flammable, and combustible.
- Physical hazards: can be caused by extreme temperatures, poor air quality, and excessive noise.
Check out Osha’s full description and breakdown of different hazards within the workplace.
We know your employees and customers are your top priority in safety and health. This is why we believe in prevention before an accident or damage occurs, so let's address a few steps you can take to keep your business in top shape.
- Mold can grow from a small roof leak to a leaky water fountain. Schedule monthly inspections to check on your water pipes, plumbing, roof, and HVAC systems. Catching leaks early can prevent mold issues and biological hazards for your customers and employees.
- Investigate chemicals that are located around and in your facility. Here is a great website for safety tips, templates, and checklists, to keep your chemical usage safe in your business.
- Living in Shasta County you are no stranger to extreme weather conditions, making your HVAC system in the office even more important. Physical hazards can be caused by extreme temperatures and poor air quality, so get your HVAC and ductwork inspected and cleaned on a regular basis. This can help restore full energy efficiency, as well as prevent mold, dust, and pollen from overtaking your air.
- Add SERVPRO’s Commercial cleaning to your janitorial budget. Regular exposure to biological or chemical contaminants can contribute to unhealthy situations. Our technicians come fully equipped with top-of-the-line cleaning products and are IIRC certified. Meaning… you can go to sleep at night knowing you did everything to keep your employees safe.
So how can you help prevent environmental hazards within your workplace? BRING IN THE PROFESSIONALS!!! Our technicians are trained to investigate your workplace, locate dangers, and assess the situation.
Whether you are in a small office building, large high-rise, apartment building, or even a government facility, we are ready 24 hours, 7 days a week.
We can help create safe and healthy working conditions! Call us today! 530-222-0200
Choosing a Restoration Company Near Me.
Image of choosing between top restoration company near me SERVPRO of North Shasta located in Redding, CA and other restoration companies.
The definition of Restoration is an act of restoring or the condition of being restored: such as bringing back to a former position or condition.
Finding a top restoration company near you can be a daunting task. Digging through endless google reviews, yelp testimonies, or talking to a neighbor who had "that thing done once", who can you trust? If you aren't familiar with the restoration process, you can feel overwhelmed, confused, and not sure you are making the right choice. When an accident occurs in your home, one of the first steps is to call your insurance company. Did you know that you can request your insurance to use the restoration company of your choice? That's right! Understanding the process can keep your stress level down when disaster strikes your home, business, or property.
Here are 3 reasons you should choose SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity & Greater Tehama Counties for your restoration needs.
- Being IICRC Certified means our technicians keep up with the latest technology and techniques in fire restoration, water restoration, and mold remediation. Our world is constantly growing, and we believe the best way to serve our customers is to keep growing with it. It's our job to become the best at what we do, and we believe constant training is how to get the job done.
- Knowledge is power, and understanding a new process can make all the difference for your pocketbook. When an accident occurs in your home or business, our staff will walk you through every step, every action, and procedure. When we say we are here for you 24/7, we mean it.
Restoration vs. Replace
- West Coast cities are on top of the list for the highest inflation rates. Economy experts are recommending people hold off on home renovations and home upgrades to put money back into their pockets, but accidents don't always listen to the experts. Our technicians are people in the community, dealing with the same inflation rates and uncertainty as you. That is why we access restoration vs. replacing. Our goal is to save you the most money, time, and peace within your house. If you choose us, you can trust us to make the right choice to restore or replace. While you are saving so much time and money by choosing us, check out this list from this old house in other repair vs. replace options.
Need another reason to choose SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, & Greater Tehama Counties? Check out one of our client testimonials.
"When you have a water loss it can quickly become traumatic and the worst experience of your life. SERVPRO came out when this happened to me and went right to work mitigating water damage 2 days before Christmas. They worked hard and did a wonderful job. They handled everything so I didn't have to. Then during repairs, the construction company caused a water leak. Mike from SERVPRO came right out and checked for moisture not once but twice when the contractor was convinced that there was no moisture under the flooring. This company really cares that you are satisfied with the experience and that's rare. I will absolutely refer Mike and the SERVPRO crew to my clients and friends. Thank you!" - Laura K.
Shasta Lake, CA
Having a company you can trust before disaster strikes can save you time and money. If you find yourself in need of a restoration company give us a call. 530-222-0200
White Gloves in a Biohazard Situation?
Image of SERVPRO of North Shasta, Trinity, & Greater Tehama Counties pulling out their white gloves to treat Biohazard cleanup with care & compassion.
Most of us spend every day without ever having to think about needing a company that does biohazard cleanup. Biohazard, even the name, starts to fire up our imagination of some space suit cleaning some highly contagious virus. But don't let the name fool you! Biohazard cleanup is more of a common occurrence than one might think, and you need a company that brings out the white gloves in such sensitive situations. That's where we come in!
Our biohazard services include:
Sensitivity, Compassion, Details, and Time are some of the keywords our company strives to uphold during every call we are on.
- Sensitivity / Compassion
- We know that walking in any of these situations can be hard and challenging for anyone. Creating an individual approach to every call is where our standards begin. You matter, your accidents matter, death in the family matters, we specialize in bringing the focus back to you and your loved ones.
Time - Accidents happen 24 hours 7 days a week, that is why our hours are the same. No one should wait for "normal" business hours to receive help.
- Biohazard = removal of harmful microorganisms, bodily fluids, tissue, and pathogenic substances. Restoring and bringing things back to their original design requires fine-tooth combing through carpets, walls, cabinets, etc. We train, suit up, go through certifications, so you know your family home or office is safe, secure, and clean for you to live and work.
Flashy ads, chatty salesmen, celebrity-filled commercials are a great way to grab your attention, but sometimes life calls for a more sensitive approach. Knowing the difference is what makes us unique. White gloves aren't just for the wealthy, they are for treating things that are sensitive and of high value. Your life, loved ones, home, office, or animals are what we consider a high priority, and the white gloves are waiting for you to call. 530-222-0200